MGMT*3140 - Business Analytics
Business analytics is an evidence-based approach to management decision-making using analytic tools to transform data into insight. This course will combine student’s existing math / statistics skills and business knowledge with modern analytic tools (spreadsheets and other applications) in order to develop a toolkit of analysis tools for solving a variety of business problems. Topics include data management and transformation, visualization, optimization, simulation, and regression. Descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics will be covered.
- Discern which tool(s) are applicable to which class of business problems (domain knowledge);
- Articulate the strengths and limitations of the models and tools;
- Use business analysis techniques to transform data into business analytics solutions using contemporary software tools such as spreadsheet software;
- Communicate analysis outcomes through relevant data visualizations embedded within oral presentations and written reports; and
- Describe the role of business analytics in modern evidence-based management and business decision making.
- Introduction to business analytics
- Basic Excel skills review
- Descriptive statistics
- Data visualization
- Probability and data modeling
- Sampling and statistical inference
- Regression analysis and forecasting
- Data mining
- Modeling and simulation
- Introduction to optimization
- Advanced optimization
- Decision making
Pre-Requisite(s): 9.00 credits including (1 of MATH*1030, MATH*1080, MATH*1200) (1 of ECON*2740, PSYC*1010, STAT*2040, STAT*2060)
Restriction(s): Restricted to students in BCOMM. Open Learning students, please contact the Open Learning program Counsellor Counsellor@OpenEd.uoguelph.ca.
|Business Analytics in Focus Reports||25%|
|Data Visualization Project (w/Tableau)||15%|
|Group Case Study||20%|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams.
Please view the Technical Considerations.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Accounting : Restricted Electives
- Certificate in Business : Electives
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.