2000301 - "Who Do You Think You Are?": Identity and Unconscious Bias at Work
Future Work Skills 2020 identifies Cross-Cultural Competency, "the ability to operate in different cultural settings," as a critical skill for the future workforce and a driver of innovation. RBC's research report Humans Wanted: How Canadian Youth Can Thrive in the Age of Disruption also identifies cultural awareness as a competency that will be in demand in the new skills economy. Living in an interconnected world requires the skills and understanding to navigate and value the ideas and viewpoints of those who are different from you. Successful employees will be able to work in diverse teams and be able to communicate shared goals, priorities, and values that transcend their differences.
This course will assist you in developing the intercultural competency (IC) required for success in diverse workplaces. The course consists of four (4) modules and will take you approximately four (4) hours to complete. Upon successful completion of the final assessment (scenario-based quiz), you will receive a digital badge (micro-certification).
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify aspects of your cultural identity and how your cultural identity influences how you see others and how they see you
- Recognize how your implicit bias can affect your behaviour more than your conscious values
- Evaluate your own implicit biases and critically reflect on how they influence your view of others
- Reflect on how others' biases may impact you
- Interpret a situation or problem from multiple perspectives
- Use cultural self-awareness, bias-awareness and perspective-taking skills to work effectively in a diverse team using specific techniques acquired in the course
- Cultural Self-Awareness: Understanding the Ways in Which One’s Culture has Influenced One’s Identity and Worldview
- Bias Awareness: Understanding Both Conscious and Implicit Bias and How Implicit Bias can Influence Behaviour More than Conscious Values
- Perspective Taking: Understanding the World from Others’ Perspectives
- Diverse Team Competencies: Competencies that Contribute to Valuing and Including Diverse Backgrounds and Perspectives in a Team Environment
|Module Quizzes (3)||-|
|Final Assessment (Scenario Quiz)||
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.