Considering a move from an omnivore- to a plant-based diet? Examine the nutritional elements of plant-based diets and their impact on human health. Why and how individuals could move toward a plant-based diet is a prevalent theme. The building blocks of a balanced and nutritionally-complete, plant-based diet is discussed in order for individuals to reach optimal health—this includes studying meal planning to achieve a balanced plant-based diet.
By the end of the course, you will be able to confidently ensure nutritional requirements are met through a plant-based diet.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the nutritional requirements when following a plant-based diet and the specific nutrients that must be met
- Design a meal plan that is nutritionally balanced and contains adequate micronutrients and macronutrients to human health
- Discuss possible health-related problems that may arise from nutrient deficiencies and the implication for plant-based diets
- Identify how to improve plant proteins to ensure plant-based diets meet nutrient requirements by examining the quality and functionality of proteins
Job Market Overview
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- You may take this as an individual course or choose to complete the certificate.
- You can expect to spend 5-6 hours per week to complete the course material, activities, discussions and assignment.
- If you are new to online learning, visit the Online learning at U of G page for helpful resources.
*It is recommended that you complete Introduction to Plant-Based Diets before selecting other courses in the certificate.
Each week you will engage in a discussion question that examines evidence-based research and apply what you are learning to diets. The course concludes with a project-based assignment that assists you in the implementation of a plant-based diet.
- Department of Family Relations and Applied Nutrition, College of Applied Human Sciences
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.