FOOD*6000 - Dairy Chemistry and Microbiology
This course introduces the science behind milk production and composition and covers topics including: the chemistry and physics of milk fats, caseins, whey proteins, lactose, minerals, and minor components; chemical analysis; nutritional and health aspects of dairy products; milk microbiology including endogenous lactic bacteria, spoilage and pathogenic microorganisms; and microbial analysis.
This course is part of the online Master of Dairy Technology Management (MDTM) program from the Departments of Food Science and Food, Agricultural, and Resource Economics (FARE). It is offered as a stand-alone course with admission to the full program not required.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Intelligently engage in discussions about?ethical and environmental?issues associated with dairy farming;
- Describe the chemical and physical properties of the major and minor components of milk;
- Explain functional roles of milk components and?micro-components?in production of dairy products;
- Apply the principal analyses used to define milk composition and quality, determine pricing, and inform dairy product formulation; and
- Apply knowledge of the microbiological properties of raw milk and processed milk products in the contexts of spoilage, pathogenesis, and fermentations.
This course is divided into 11 units. Unit 01 spans the first two weeks of the course, and each unit thereafter spans one week. The course units are as follows:
- Introduction to the Milk Production and Processing Industries
- Dairy Fats
- Serum and Minor Proteins
- Lactose and Minerals
- Nutrition and Health
- Dairy Microbiology
- Spoilage Microorganisms
- Microbial Pathogens
- Quality Control – Sensory Analysis
- Quality Control – Chemical, Physical, and Microbial Analysis
Pre-requisite(s): An undergraduate degree or equivalent education/qualification
|Quizzes (5 x 4%)||20%|
|Written Assignments (4 x 15%)||60%|
|Presentation: Current Topics in Dairy Science and Technology||15%|
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.