2900106 - PSW Strategies: Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) for the Person in Care
Personal support workers (PSWs) work in an environment where they interact, support, and care for people from all walks of life.
Gain the knowledge and skills required to build equity, diversity and inclusion practices that foster inclusive, person-centred care for clients, particularly older adults, across all care settings. Learn how inclusive communication, equitable actions, and allyship contribute to persons in care feeling safe, which will help you to be successful in providing care.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss foundational concepts related to equity, diversity and inclusion and examine their relevance to client/resident care practices
- Explain how equity, diversity, and inclusion PSW practices foster positive client outcomes
- Evaluate personal conscious and unconscious biases and critically analyze their impact on client care as a PSW
- Develop personal and professional practices which support equity, diversity, and inclusion in client care
- The Meaning of EDI as a Person in Care
- Intersectionality and Biases as a Person in Care
- Systems of Oppression, Ageism, Ableism, Racism Sexism, Cissexism, and Heterosexism as a Person in Care
- Mitigating Social Isolation: Positions of Power/Malignant Interactions, Microaggressions, and Communication in Care Settings
- EDI Strategies in Care: Practice Strategies, Allyship, and Building Bridges
- This course is intended for those working within the personal support worker field and for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no pre-requisites for this course.
- You can expect to spend 8 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, and assignments.
|New Client Interaction - Analysis and Discussion||30%|
|Biases, Systems of Oppression and PSW Approaches to Care - Examination and Discussion||40%|
|EDI Communication Sheet - Creation, Use and Reflection||30%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.