2900110 - PSW Strategies: Deepening Ethical Competency Within Your Practice
Personal support workers (PSWs) regularly encounter situations requiring ethical awareness in interactions with colleagues, clients and their families.
Build ethical awareness and develop skills to navigate common ethical scenarios in ways that support client well-being and quality of life. Recognize the ways that personal, cultural, and other factors shape how to approach ethical challenges in your role as a PSW.
This course was developed in collaboration with the Centre for Clinical Ethics.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Reflect on your personal beliefs and values
- Critically appraise how your personal beliefs and values influence interactions with co-workers, clients and families
- Describe ethical issues arising in your PSW practice
- Recognize personal and team accountability for responding to ethical challenges
- Apply ethical principles and/or frameworks to interactions with co-workers, clients and families
- Develop an ethical toolkit you can draw on to begin to address ethical issues that you encounter in your practice
- A (Re-)Introduction to Ethics
- Who Gets to Decide In Health Care
- Approaches to Ethical Thinking
- Truth-Telling in PSW Practice
- Codes of Ethics
- Professional Boundaries
- Ethical Decision-Making Frameworks
- Moral Experience
- Humanity in Health Care
- This course is intended for those working within the personal support worker field and for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no pre-requisites for this course.
- You can expect to spend 8 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, and assignments.
|Case Studies (4)||70%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.