2900111 - PSW Strategies: Delivering Compassionate, Person-Centred End-of-Life Care
Personal support workers (PSWs) play a central role in supporting clients and their families at end of life in a variety of palliative care contexts.
Gain the knowledge and skills required to provide high-quality, person-centred care, and support to clients with a life-limiting or palliative diagnosis and to their families. Also explore and utilize strategies to manage grief and other emotions.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the role of a PSW in a variety of palliative care contexts including hospital, long-term care, community care, and hospice, while differentiating between palliative care and hospice
- Assess when a client may benefit from palliative care, and advocate effectively for client goals of care as part of an interdisciplinary health care team
- Select appropriate resources and care interventions within the PSW scope of practice to support clients and their families at end of life
- Discuss the impact death and dying can have on members of the health care team
- Recommend self-care strategies for clients and their family members experiencing grief and bereavement
- Develop strategies to address one’s own grief and other emotions
- The PSW in Palliative Care Settings
- The Goals of Palliative Care
- Palliative Care in Hospital and Long-Term Care (LTC) Settings
- Palliative Care in Hospice and Home
- The PSW and Paediatric Palliative Care
- This course is intended for those working within the personal support worker field and for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no pre-requisites for this course.
- You can expect to spend 8 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, and assignments.
|Case Studies (2)||40%|
|PSE Palliative Care Resource Kit||40%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.