Personal support workers (PSWs) work in many environments, and owning and operating a home care business (whether sole proprietor, partnership or brokerage) may be a desirable career path for some.
If you are contemplating running your own business, this course gives you all of the tools to make a decision about the type of business that will be most suitable for you. Upon completion, you will have your marketing material as well as a comprehensive business plan to get you started.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the benefits and challenges of being a small business owner and assess personal and professional readiness to start and operate a small business
- Demonstrate professionalism and employ ethical practices necessary to build a successful PSW business
- Identify legal and regulatory requirements and bodies that apply to operating a PSW business
- Build a basic business plan to assist with acquiring funding for a PSW business
- Critically evaluate knowledge and skills gaps related to operating a small business and create a plan for professional development
- Benefits and Challenges of Being a Small Business Owner
- Relevant Legislation and Best Practices for Establishing a Business
- Legal Regulatory Requirements
- Building a Basic Business Plan
- Critical Self Evaluation: Conscious Competence and SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats)
- This course is intended for those working within the personal support worker field and for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no pre-requisites for this course.
- You can expect to spend 8 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, and assignments.
*Course details are subject to change.