Learn how to pen a story that will capture the imagination of young readers in what will certainly be an engaging eight-week long writing workshop. In this course you will be introduced to the various sub-genres of children’s writing: picture books, chapter books, and middle-grade novels. An experienced author will provide an overview of the main ingredients required when attempting to write a successful book for a younger audience. Together you will explore several elements of the craft: point-of-view, character, plot, setting, tone and dialogue. Students will read several examples of great children’s literature, as well as write and workshop their own stories.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Explore the techniques of telling children’s stories by reading and responding to selected readings from different genres of children’s literature.
- Generate ideas and apply writing techniques through the completion of weekly writing exercises.
- Examine and identify the components of a children’s story in order to tell your own story using pictures and words.
- Identify the roles of the writer, illustrator, editor, art director and book designer in the creation of children’s literature.
- Create a picture book, chapter book or the first chapter of a middle-grade novel.
- Respectfully critique the creative work of others by participating in the workshop process, reading your own work and critiquing the work of others.
This course will be delivered remotely using CourseLink, your online course website, and Zoom for the live video conferencing sessions help one evening per week. You are required to participate in the live video conferencing sessions. Further information will be provided after registration.
It is the student's responsibility to be sure you have the technical requirements to participate in this course including having available:
- Webcam (Built in or USB plug-in)
- Headset or a Microphone and Speaker (Built-in, wireless or USB plug-in)
|Class Participation and Workshop||25%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Creative Writing Certificate : Electives
*Course details are subject to change.