7000022 - Writing for Children
Learn how to pen a story that captures the imagination of young readers in what is certainly an engaging eight-week writing workshop. Discover the various sub-genres of children’s writing: picture books, chapter books, and middle-grade novels. Take a journey with an experienced author and gain an overview of the main ingredients required when attempting to write a successful book for a younger audience. Together you will explore many elements of the craft: point-of-view, character, plot, setting, tone and dialogue. Read several examples of great children’s literature and write and workshop your own stories.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Explore the techniques of telling children’s stories by reading and responding to selected readings from different genres of children’s literature
- Generate ideas and apply writing techniques through the completion of weekly writing exercises
- Examine and identify the components of a children’s story in order to tell your own story using pictures and words
- Identify the roles of the writer, illustrator, editor, art director and book designer in the creation of children’s literature
- Create a picture book, chapter book or the first chapter of a middle-grade novel
- Respectfully critique the creative work of others by participating in the workshop process, reading your own work and critiquing the work of others
This course is intended for adult learners. There are no prerequisites for this course. You may take this as an individual course or choose to complete the Creative Writing Certificate.
|Class Participation and Workshop||25%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Creative Writing Certificate : Electives
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.