This course provides an overview of childhood exceptionalities including intellectual differences, communication disorders, sensory impairments, developmental and behaviour disorders, and health problems. Issues faced by the exceptional child as well as the parents and siblings are discussed.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Identify a wide range of exceptionalities for children and youth with knowledge of how the exceptionality is defined, etiology, short- and long-term developmental outcomes, and impact on the family;
- Understand how exceptional learners are identified in Canada (and Ontario), including the difference between diagnosis of an exceptionality and identification as an exceptional learner;
- Explain the needs of exceptional learners, including social and educational barriers they face, through discussion of case studies Identify;
- Analyze case studies of children and youth with exceptionalities integrating knowledge of key components of the exceptionality such as strengths and needs, dilemmas, available resources, and possible strategies/approaches;
- Demonstrate awareness of a variety of evidence-based practices that address the needs of exceptional learners;
- Identify strategies and resources that can be utilized in current and future work with exceptional children and youth; and
- Engage in discussions with peers concerning the link between various approaches to academic learning and effective inclusive programming, strategies, and practices.
- Introduction to Special Education
- Assessment and the Individual Education Plan Process
- Creating Exceptional Learning Environments
- Learning Disabilities
- Behavioural Disorders
- Intellectual Disabilities
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Multiple and Severe Disabilities
- Sensory Impairments
- Diversity Considerations
- Applying Your Learning – Considering Professional Development and the Future
Pre-Requisite(s): 4.00 credits
Co-Requisite(s): 1 of FRHD*2260, FRHD*2270, FRHD*2280, PSYC*2450
|Case Study Reading Responses||30%|
|Online Final Exam||30%|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams.
Please view the Technical Considerations.
*Course details are subject to change.