GERM*3150 - Interactive German Language and Culture
This course develops German language skills and cultural awareness. Discussions include such topics as Heimat, nation, migration, and study abroad. Students will engage with and reflect on different social and cultural perspectives through interviews, videos, and texts. Online interactions, including with people in and from Germany, form an integral part of the course.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Evaluate critically and negotiate successfully intercultural aspects, differences and similarities
- Interpret different types for texts (news media, music, literature, etc.) for their implicit and explicit perspectives
- Formulate a sophisticated understanding of German culture and society
- Function at the B1+ proficiency level for German following the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, which means:
- Listening: understand the main points of clear standard speech on familiar topics; understand the main points of many radio or TV programs on current affairs or topics of personal or professional interest when the delivery is clear.
- Speaking: deal with situations likely to arise when traveling; engage in unprepared conversation on familiar topics.
- Reading: understand texts consisting mainly of high-frequency vocabulary on a variety of topics; understand descriptive texts and texts that are present an argument or adopt a particular viewpoint.
- Writing: write connected texts about familiar topics using a variety of grammatical structures; express opinions or points of view on a given topic.
- Heimat als Ort oder als Gefühl?
- Stadt als Heimat
- Imaginäre Heimat
- Bingen, Romantik, Patriotismus
- Leipzig und die „Wende“
- Migration gestern und heute
- Migration und Migranten
- Vorstellungen und Eindrücke
- Themendiskussion und Video/PowerPoint
|5 Online Tests on Grammar and Vocabulary||15%|
|5 Assignments (Aufgabe der Woche)||15%|
|2 Submissions as Suchstudent||5%|
Prerequisite(s): GERM*2010 or 2.50 credits in GERM
Restriction(s): GERM*3510, GERM*3540
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.