Explore a variety of perspectives on sexuality across the lifespan from mainstream and alternative sexualities in childhood and adolescence to adulthood and senior years. You will be introduced to theory, research, and clinical interventions that will prepare you to engage with diverse clients in a thoughtful manner.
This course is typically recognized by the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) as a human development course.
This course is designed for counsellors, therapists, social workers, mental health workers, and pastoral care/faith-based practitioners seeking to build or enhance their practical skills and theoretical foundation in couple and family therapy, as well as those exploring therapy as a career.
Note: The content covered in this course may be challenging at times and involve exposure to sexually explicit materials, either in readings, video, online materials and/or class discussions. As sexuality often intersects with violence in most cultures, sexually violent and disturbing materials may also be covered as required to appropriately teach course content. You are expected to interact with the material in a mature manner, to engage in practices that allow you to care for yourselves as needed, and to seek support from the instructor if distressed.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Consider a variety of perspectives on genders and sexualities across the lifespan
- Think critically and challenge assumptions about gender and sexuality
- Begin dialogues about sexuality with clients from diverse backgrounds
- Discuss key issues in theory about sexuality and understand how these apply to therapeutic conversations about intimacy, sex and sexuality
- Reflect on how your social locations, values, beliefs and experiences regarding sexuality shape you as a therapist
- Respond sensitively to power, privilege, discrimination and marginalization in relation to sexuality
- Gendered and Transgendered Identities
- #MeToo and #TimesUp Movements
- Queer Sexualities
- Sexual Violence
- Sexuality in Seniors' Residences
|Questions About Readings||45%|
|Dialogue of Diversity||55%|
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Couple and Family Therapy Studies : Electives
*Course details are subject to change.