3101031 - Agricultural Plant Selection for Urban Gardens
Discuss the identification of edible annual, biennial, perennial, herbaceous and woody horticultural plants. Explore a summary of crop-specific cultural practices, harvest guidelines, and potential insect and disease problems in order to gain the skills needed to grow each crop.
Urban community gardeners, co-operative associations, municipal planners and environmental advocates wishing to identify the potentials and constraints for gardens in the urban environment are well-suited participants for this course.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Critically evaluate sustainability in the context of urban agricultural practices
- Select an optimal urban site, within the constraints imposed by the urban condition, suitable for agricultural production
- Evaluate, identify and pursue niche market options for urban agriculture
- Identify the major food producing plant families commonly found in temperate zone growing areas
- Select appropriate plant species for urban agricultural growing areas that will allow for sustainable production
- Evaluate the sustainable production characteristics of different crops
- Critically evaluate the validity of crop production information obtained from various sources
- Source seed and other propagation material for crops discussed in this course
- Sustainability and Urban Agriculture
- Urban Agricultural Scenarios: Backyard Greenhouse, Rooftop Gardens, Balcony Gardens, Boulevard Gardens/Brownfield Gardens, Backyard Gardens, Suburban Greenspace, Community Gardens
- Niche Markets: Finding and Developing Niche Markets for Your Urban Agricultural Produce
- Selecting Plants for Urban and Niche Markets
- Sourcing Propagation Material for Your Urban Agricultural Location
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Sustainable Urban Agriculture Certificate : Electives
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.