2010602 - Legal Governance
Gain a better understanding of governance in the educational environment. Designed for Ontario school board professionals, this course will provide you with the skills and knowledge necessary to build leadership capacity within the school board environment.
Take advantage of an opportunity to better understand governance in the educational environment. Examine governance models used throughout the province and analyze how these models impact the functions of business operations in Ontario school boards.
While the course focuses on the Ontario education context, the concepts that will be covered are generic and could be applied to other jurisdictions and sectors.
Content well geared towards anyone working in the school board environment, whatever the role. Very meaningful and timely discussions.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Define governance within an educational environment
- Distinguish between the role of governance and the role of management
- Recognize and explain the various groups, roles and responsibilities involved in governance and management in Ontario public education
- Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of various governance models
- Identify how governance impacts on the stewardship of school board resource specifically in the areas of purchasing (procurement), capital projects, finance and staffing
- Identify and explain board processes to ensure stewardship of resources is aligned with governance principles of the board
- Analyze the impact of the Education Act, Acts and Regulations, School Board Policy and School Board procedures on the business activities of school boards
- Explain how governance impacts on contracts, collective agreements and conditions of employment
- Describe the grievance/arbitration model and its impact in business operations in school boards
- Apply principles of mediation to find resolutions to potential grievances and arbitrations
- School Board Governance
- Policy Governance
- Governance Models
- Challenges to Governance
- Governance and Stewardship of Board Resources
- Business practices in Finance and Human Resources
- The Impact of Legislation and Policy on Board Governance
- Collective Agreements
- Mediation, Grievances, Arbitrations
|Assignment 1: Governance Model Comparison||25%|
|Assignment 2: A Report on the Impacts of Regulations on the Operations Department||25%|
|Assignment 3: Mediating a Conflict – Potential Grievance||25%|
|Activity Participation (Independent and Small Group Discussions)||25%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Diploma in School Board Administration : Required Courses
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.