2200000 - Management of the Equine Environment
Explore many of the important aspects of running a horse-housing establishment, including barn hygiene, air quality, safety audits, and fencing and pasture maintenance and improvement.
This course will provide you with access to the latest research and practical information needed to ensure a safe and healthy environment for horses, through effective and responsible management techniques. You will immediately be able to apply what you learn to your situation in a practical way.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Assess management and safety practices related to the housing environment of the horse
- Apply knowledge of equine environmental management practices to present and future situations with the horse
- Investigate and evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of a variety of equine environmental management practices
- Conduct an environmental audit of a property for housing horses that identifies problems and solutions for the health and safety of the horse
- Stable Design and Ventilation
- Air Quality
- Extreme Weather and Emergency Action Plans
- Turnout for Your Horse: Pasture, Fencing and Shelter
- Manure Management and Environmental Responsibilities
- Seasonal Considerations
- Horse Housing Around the World
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- You may take this as an individual course or choose to complete one of our equine certificates or the diploma.*
- You do not need access to a horse or facility to participate and be successful in this course.
- You can expect to spend 6-10 hours per week to complete the course material, activities, discussions and assignments.
*We recommend that you complete Management of the Equine Environment first, or very early in your course of studies. This course is offered every semester.
|Graded Discussions (3 x 10%)||30%|
|Knowledge Quizzes (3 x 5%)||15%|
|Equine Environmental Evaluation Portfolio||55%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Diploma in Equine Studies : Required Courses
- Certificate in Equine Business Management : Required Courses
- Equine Science Certificate : Required Courses
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.