ECON*1100 - Introductory Macroeconomics
This course looks at the Canadian Economy in terms of aggregate performance and policy; analysis of the determinants of national income, employment and the price level, and the role of government monetary and fiscal policies in improving the rate of economic growth.
Note: This course can be taken individually or as a part of a certificate program.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Recognize macroeconomic concepts including GDP, price indices, growth, exchange rates, interest rates, money multipliers, expenditure multipliers, balance of payments, budget balances, trade balances and productivity measures;
- Measure economic activity including inflation, GDP, unemployment, savings, and balance of payments;
- Interpret expansionary and inflationary gaps, economic booms and recessions, and distinguish between short-run and long run macroeconomic outcomes;
- Analyze and interpret economic models such as the foreign exchange market model, the loanable funds market model, the aggregate expenditure model, and the AD/AS model;
- Analyze financial markets including the foreign exchange market, the money market, and the bond market;
- Explain and give examples of monetary, fiscal, and exchange rate policy;
- Justify an opinion on the role of government with respect to the values of Canadian macroeconomic indicators; and
- Interpret Canadian economic performance in a historical and global context.
- Variables, measurement, and issues
- The economy in the short run
- Stabilization policy
- Open economy macroeconomics
Grading Scheme with the Purchase of MyEconLab:
Grading Scheme without the Purchase of MyEconLab:
Additional Technical Requirements
- Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams.
Please view the Technical Considerations.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Business : Electives
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.