EDRD*3160 - International Communication
This course examines the role of communication in global development. Emphasis is on the application of interpersonal, intercultural communications and the mass media in the development process.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Describe the theoretical and practical roles of information, communication and media in international and global contexts;
- Outline the political, cultural and socio-economic forces that drive information, communication and media initiatives in the public (government and not-for-profit) and private sectors;
- Evaluate the key international institutions and polices that shape information, communication and media in the global environment;
- Analyze the impact of mass media on global issues such as poverty and economic crisis, environmental disasters and cultural diversity;
- Assess the role of communication for social change and development in today’s world in an analytical and critical manner;
- Describe the media and communication-related forces that influence personal and social interaction in today’s world; and
- Express an appreciation of the role of the media as a major moderator of national and international dialogue, discourse and development.
- International Communications Infrastructure
- New Media
- Media Ownership and Globalization
- Regional Perspectives
- Global Advertising to Community Media
Prerequisite(s): 10.00 credits
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Written Assignment: Country Media Review||20%||1, 2|
|Quizzes (3)||15%||3, 4, 5, 6, 7|
|Headline News Discussions (2 discussions)||20%||2, 3|
|Take-Home Final Exam||40%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7|
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Leadership : Electives
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.