This course provides an overview of the role of managers in the modern organization. Students will learn about the history of management theory and will examine in depth the major management functions of planning, leading, organizing and controlling. The concepts of management ethics and sustainability are also introduced.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- work as part of a team to identify, diagnose and analyze managerial organizational design problems and inform the development of potential solutions
- make evidence-based decisions and recommendations
- address complex organizational design problems
- describe the historical development of theories of management as an organizational function
- describe major management functions in depth and explain how they relate to each other
- explain how managers use management functions to achieve strategic goals and organizational effectiveness
- define the various tasks and activities that are associated with the management functions of planning, leading, organizing and controlling
- describe the challenges that managers face in addressing complex problems in a diverse and global context
- orally communicate within a small group setting to contribute to the analysis of management problems and situations
- describe ethical and sustainability challenges that managers face and the steps they must take to address them
- Introduction to Principles of Management
- Principles of Teams and Communication
- Managing Relationships and Culture
- Managing Values, Sustainability and CSR
- Goals and Planning Strategies
- Planning through Strategic Decision-making
- Organizational Structures
- HR Management Through Talent and Diversity
- Leadership and Self-management
- Leadership Theories and Frameworks
- Control as a Management Tool
- Managerial Controls and Supply chain Management
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Unit Quizzes (weekly x 2)||10%||2-8, 10|
|Management Briefs (x 4)||20%||1-10|
|Interviewing a Manager||10%||3, 4, 6, 7|
|Online Final Exam||30%||2-8, 10|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams. In order to use Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor, you must meet the following technical requirements:
- Operating Systems: Windows 10, 8, 7; Mac OS X 10.10 or higher.
- Memory: Windows 2 GB RAM; Mac 512 MB RAM.
- For Mac users: Safari must function properly on the computer.
- Mac users must have Adobe Flash Player installed to Safari, even if a different browser is normally used.
- Functioning webcam and microphone. The webcam and microphone can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. (You will be required to do an environment scan of your room, so please ensure you can move your computer, laptop or webcam for this scan.)
- A broadband Internet connection. It is recommended that you access the Internet via a wired connection.
*Course details are subject to change.