3101032 - Environmental Management of the Golf Course
Gain a better understanding of environmental management issues affecting golf course maintenance. Assess the internal environmental compliance level of your operating facility and identify areas for improvement. Join the discussion on a variety of environmental issues including equipment wash areas and effluent disposal, pesticide registration process and storage, integrated pest management, and public relations.
Designed for golf course superintendents and employees, this course will look at topics from federal, provincial and municipal levels.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify and implement criteria that will aid in creating an environmental management program (EMP) for a golf course
- Define the criteria for an integrated pest management (IPM) program and develop an IPM program for your property
- Discuss the consequences of poor equipment wash, effluent disposal and spray tank mix practices, and describe pesticide and fuel storage requirements
- Define components of an Emergency Response Contingency Plan
- Describe sources of irrigation including surface water, groundwater, municipal supply and treated sanitary water
- Describe water conservation management and operating practices and develop a water use schedule using sound agronomic and scientific validation
- Regulatory Requirements & Environmental Management Techniques
- Canadian Pesticide Registration Process & Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
- Equipment Wash Area & Effluent Disposal
- Spray Tank Mix/Load Area
- Pesticide Storage
- Fuel Storage
- Environmental Monitoring (Soil & Water Testing for Contaminants)
- Water Management & Conservation
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- You can expect to spend 8 to 12 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, discussions and assignments.
You may also be interested in the Turf Managers Short Course Certificate.
If you are interested in obtaining updates via email, please join our information list.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Maintaining Golf Courses Certificate : Required Courses
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.