ENVS*2060 - Soil Science
This course is an introduction to the principles of soil science - the origin of soils, their classification and interpretation in natural and modified environments. Soil will be studied as a product of the natural environment, with a focus on formation processes and changes which occur when it is modified through use. A variety of uses including agriculture, forestry, recreation, and urban development will be considered.
Note: This course can be taken individually or as a part of a certificate program.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Explain the great significance of soil to individuals and society as a whole
- Enumerate the wide variety of soils that exist in Canada and the world and know how and why those soils exist
- Explain the physical, chemical and hydrologic properties of soil and the scientific principles that govern these properties
- Explain the significant role of soils in plant growth and the need for soil and nutrient management
- Explain the significant role of soil in human activity such as road and building construction and waste disposal
- Discuss current issues and concerns that exist for soil use and management today and understand the management approaches that are available to deal with these concerns
- Describing Soil
- Soil Formation
- Classification of Canadian Soils
- Soil Physical Characterization and Management
- Water Behaviour in Soil
- Water Management
- Chemical Mineralogical and Biological Properties of Soil
- Soil as a Reservoir of Plant Nutrients
- Soil Quality and Degradation through Human Activity
- Soil Capability and Land Use Management
|Quizzes #1-5 (5% each)||25%|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams.
Please view the Technical Considerations.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Environmental Conservation : Electives
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.