HROB*2090 - Individuals and Groups in Organizations
The course serves as an overview to organizational behaviour. It examines the individual, the group, the organization and how the three interrelate in order to enhance performance and productivity.
Note: This course may be taken individually or as a part of a certificate program.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of OB theories, models and concepts presented in the course;
- Demonstrate understanding of the role of individual level (micro), and group and organizational level (macro) factors in fostering organizational success;
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze and evaluate organizational behaviour information;
- Understand how evidence-based management is used to diagnosis problems and provide solutions to organizations;
- Demonstrate skills critical to future success as employees and managers including:
- Critical thinking and problem-solving; and
- Written communication skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply the OB theories, models and concepts to organizational settings; and
- Demonstrate professionalism in communicating with peers and others.
- Organizational Behaviour (OB) and Evidence-Based Management (EBM)
- Personality and Learning
- Perception, Attribution, and Diversity
- Values, Attitudes and Work Behaviour
- Theories of Work Motivation and Motivation in Practice
- Decision Making
- Groups and Teamwork
- Social Influence, Socialization, & Culture
- Communication, Power, Politics and Ethics
- Conflict, Stress and Negotiation
- Organizational Structure, Environment, Strategy & Technology
- Organizational Change, Development, and Innovation
Restriction(s): HROB*2100, HROB*4000, PSYC*3080
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Weekly Video Quizzes (12 x 1%)||12%||4, 5|
|Midterm||32%||1, 2, 3, 5, 6|
|Discussion Participation (2 x 8%)||16%||1, 2, 3, 4, 7|
|Online Final Exam||40%||1, 2, 3, 5, 6|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams.
Please view the Technical Considerations.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Business : Electives
- Certificate in Hospitality Studies : Required Courses
- Certificate in Leadership : Electives
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.