Leaders are increasingly required to take on human resources management (HRM) responsibilities in their organizations—such as hiring, training, scheduling, retaining, and performance management. To be effective, leaders need to continually learn and apply current and relevant HRM solutions to make sound decisions that comply with legislation, policy, and best practices.
Focus on building the HRM knowledge and skills needed to manage and lead individuals, teams, and organizations effectively and confidently. Through readings, discussions, activities, and assignments, you will gain a fundamental understanding of the key HRM knowledge and skills needed by non-HR professionals responsible for carrying out HRM responsibilities.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify current issues in the field of HRM and the implications on leaders
- Explain key aspects of labour and employment legislation as it relates to employment relations
- Apply strategies to ensure compliance with applicable collective agreements, legislation, policy, and other binding decisions
- Write job specifications and identify core competencies
- Apply methods for recruiting, selecting, training, and retaining a well suited and skilled employee base
- Comprehend and clearly communicate your organization’s Total Compensation
- Utilize a cooperative process and apply strategies, techniques, and skills in effective performance coaching and management
- Maintain healthy employee relations, while building, engaging, and motivating individuals, teams, and groups to desired levels of performance
- Defining Human Resources Management
- Legislation and Human Resources Management
- Skills Inventory
- Labour Relations, Contract Administration, and Collective Bargaining
- Job Competencies, Position Profiles, and Job Descriptions
- Accommodation and Privacy Issues
- Attendance Management
- Managing a Diverse Workplace
- Culpable Behaviour
- Managing Performance
*Course details are subject to change.