Gain a comprehensive overview and a sound understanding of the fundamentals and legislation affecting personal privacy, and access to and management of information and records.
Utilizing best practices, you will develop the necessary skills to design and deliver effective privacy and information management programs, policies and procedures. Emphasis will be placed on the importance of vigilance surrounding privacy protection, data security, and risk management, so you can develop practical skills to improve security and minimize risk and breaches. By engaging in active learning activities, you will have an opportunity to build strategic leadership skills.
While more broadly applicable, courses focus on a public sector context and utilize examples from school board and municipal environments. You are invited to apply your knowledge and experience while engaging in the learning.
About the Certificate
The Certificate in Information Management, Privacy, and Access consists of four required classroom-based courses. Select courses run each year in July. The duration of each course is five days: four days of instruction (30 hours) and one day for the final exam.
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Describe and effectively apply privacy protection, records information management, and appropriate access to information
- Identify the process, issues and techniques involved in developing and delivering privacy and information management programs
- Demonstrate vigilance and practical skills to improve data security and manage risk
- Demonstrate effective leadership practices that align with your organization's values and mission, encouraging employees to meaningfully and productively engage in organizational success
You must receive a passing grade of 50% or more to successfully complete this certificate program. After successful program completion, please submit a Continuing Education Certificate/Diploma Request Form.
- Information management, records management, access to information, privacy, risk management, governance, data management, archives, and security careers
If you would like additional information about this certificate, please email our main office or phone us at 519-767-5000.